Today is Groundhogs Day! I love basing my weather assumptions off of the shadow of a rodent. It just seems so incredibly logical. Rodents are naturally the most weather savvy of all the animals around. My friend Genna is a Meteorology major and she declared that today was World Meteorology Awareness Day. She likes weather, and I think she has the same feelings about rodent weathermen as I do. Nonetheless, I have been researching Punxsutawney Phil and his life. Things I have learned.
He didn’t see his shadow. Spring is on its way!
He has a team of handlers.
The handlers are called the Inner Circle.
The following jobs are members of the Inner Circle: Thunder Conductor, Sky Painter, Storm Chaser, Sun Beamer, Stump Warden, His Protector. There are others but they are lame.
These are some of the frequently asked questions from the Groundhog Day site.
1. Yes, Punxsutawney Phil is the only true weather forecasting groundhog. The others are just imposters.
2. There has been only one Punxsutawney Phil. Punxsutawney Phil gets his longevity from drinking “groundhog punch” (a secret recipe). One sip, which is administered every summer at the Groundhog Picnic, gives him seven more years of life.
3. On February 2nd, Phil comes out of his burrow on Gobbler’s Knob, in front of thousands of faithful followers from all over the world, to predict the weather for the rest of the winter.
4. According to legend, if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter weather. If he does not see his shadow, there will be an early spring.
5. No, Punxsutawney Phil’s forecasts are not made in advance by the Inner Circle. After Phil emerges from his burrow on February 2nd, he speaks to the Groundhog Club President in Groundhogese. His proclamation is then translated for the world.
6. The celebration of Groundhog Day began with the Germans, Pennsylvania’s earliest settlers. They brought with them the legend of Candlemas Day, which states “For as the sun shines on Candlemas day, so far will the snow swirl in May…”. The settlers found that groundhogs were plentiful and were the most intelligent and sensible animal to carry on the legend of Candlemas Day.
7. Punxsutawney held its first Groundhog Day in the 1800’s. The first official trek to Gobbler’s Knob made on February 2nd, 1887. In 2008 it will be the 122nd prediction.
8. So the story goes, Punxsutawney Phil was named after King Phillip. Prior to being called Phil, he was called Br’er Groundhog.
So Phil is drinking trashcan punch with the Inner Circle. And there are secret languages being spoken. Sounds like a cult.
My friends who do cool things and are interested in cool things showed me this website. It’s a website! It’s comics. Comics are cool. Today there is a Groundhog Day comic!
I also looked into joining the Punxsutawney Phil Club. It was $10. So I opted out. But here is the form if you are looking for a some things to do with your time.
Which I’m sure you do.
Today is also Crepe Day! I heart crepes with my whole heart. I fell in love with them when I was in Paris this summer. They are tasty and awesome and magic and glorious. They are all positive adjectives. I am still experiencing the snowpocalypse in Norman. Things are closed. I was going to walk to the Passionberry around the corner from my house. They have crepes and I needed to celebrate. Well they were closed. Then I was going to go Ihop. And guess what THEY WERE CLOSED TOO! At this point I am exasperated. My crepe celebration cannot be un celebrated!
I ultimately ended up making my own crepes. I have never made them before. But I figured that it couldn’t be that difficult. My theory with food is that if I won’t fail if I just try. I will make something, and it most likely will rule. I haven’t had any major flops yet and I’ve made fried eggplant. I realized that crepe making was super easy.
Crepe Day ruled. It was so easy. 1 cup flour. 1 cup milk. 2 eggs. 2 tbsp butter. Some salt. Boom. A crepe. I suggest you make your own. Also, feel free to put Nutella inside. I did and I wasn’t mad about it.
Applying for Stump Warden or Thunder Conductor.
PS: I didn’t even mention the movie Groundhog Day or anything to do with that. I apologize. That movie is hilarious. For the record, I didn’t have any kind of repetitive nonsense happen to me today.