So, it’s Parade Day. And I need to tell you about my love of parades. It’s a real thing. Here’s why.
1. They are unusual and mysterious. You had no idea there were that many local marching bands. You had no idea there were that many oversized balloon creatures!!
2. They are monumental. They mark holidays, exciting events, famous people, victories. All cool things.
3. They are exclusive. Not everyone gets to be on that float.
4. There is candy involved.
5. Crowds of people amass for one unified cause that doesn’t involve complaining about taxes.
6. Santa makes an occasional appearance.
7. Ferris Bueller was a large supporter of them.
8. See number 7.
9. They are purely a nonsense fun thing.
10. I like purely nonsense fun things. Like cupcakes and glitter and buy one get one free sales and The Muppets.
The next available parade I am going to have the privilege of seeing is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, the King of Parades. Although I’ll be watching from TV in Oklahoma, I am still thrilled. I watch it every year. I can’t wait! I realize that some people are less than enthused about parades. They don’t see the value, they don’t like fun things, what have you. I love parades for the same reason I would love unicorns if they were real. You just don’t get to see them all that often, so when you do you’ve got to really soak it up.
Being in/going to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is on my bucket list.